Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Boys will be Boys

The Lord is teaching me so vividly these days that boys will be boys.  I am learning to appreciate them so much, and boy do I love my boys.  I have discovered a great appreciation for their laughter, creativity, loyalty, passion, messiness, how they forgive and forget, the importance of physical touch (the rough kind as well as the gentle, but all loving), and their amazing energy.  I have always claimed to be the "clean mom" because I did not like to deal with messes.  I now find that I am much more relaxed in this area, and if they are dirty then I know they are having fun and being just as God designed them to be.

Basketball is quite popular in our house right now.  Have I mentioned that our Women's Aggie Basketball team are the 2011 NCAA National Champions?!?  I know I have not on the blog, and I will not try to annoy with it, but we are quite excited and pumped for those ladies.  Did you know they held Bible Studies during the tournament, and that Danielle Adams even made this clear to the media.  I know, I know we always hear thanks to God, and that is great.  I do not downplay that at all, after all, God should always get the glory.  However, how often do they go to the extent to mention that even Bible Studies were held?  Amazing.  I love that Coach Blair and these ladies are such great ambassadors to the sport, to our great school, and most of all great role models for our children.  I know I went on a tangent...

Basketball is quite popular in our house right now, and it does have a lot to do with how we follow both the men's and women's Aggie programs.  (We do not follow the NBA, except during the playoffs.)  Calvin loves to play for hours outside on the big goal, and Colton tries really hard.  He loves to be lifted up so that he can dunk it.  Colton did get a small basketball goal from GaGa and PawPaw for his birthday present.  Right now it is inside the house where there is pandemonium going on.  I just know something is going to get broken, but I am not in the least worried about it.  If you are ever at my house for an extended period of time, you will soon find out that there is always balls being thrown or shot inside.  We have the middle of our living room floor open on purpose so that football routes can be more easily run.  When Calvin was three we did have to stop the ball tosses and swinging of the bat.  He was just too good, and it was getting dangerous even with the "soft" balls.

Before the basketball goal was assembled, there were makeshift goals being created out of anything that resembled a hole.  They following is a list of what I can remember has been used as basketball goals:  laundry baskets, the seat of Kylee's jumperoo, the boppy pillow set in the recliner seat, Colton's stool that goes in his room and the lid comes off, a cardboard box, the highchair, the cute tin tub that holds the dog's toys, and various toy bins.  I know there are more that I am missing, but I think the point has been made.  The sheer creativity, love of sports, and energy that lives in my house is inspiring.  I try to hang, but I need to inhale some of their energy.  If I could bottle it, I would be a millionaire. 

I have partially figured out what needs to be put in the bottle, but I am not sure how to get it there.  I would put in children's pure innocence.  The joys and lack of stress that they live in allow for energy to multiply.  It makes me so sad and sick to think of all of the rough situations some children have at home that they are simply forced to grow up too soon in order to survive, and the joy and stress-free life of innocence is robbed from them.  

Some things would not need to be bottled.  These are things that I am able to change, but choose not to or do not do well enough.  These would be things like drinking lots of water, not drinking sodas, eating more nutritiously, cutting out majority of sugar, exercise more and get the proper amount of rest.  I do well at some of these and poorly in others, but I really think they all work together.  Therefore, if I am missing any piece of the puzzle, then I am missing out on the whole.  I know this whole paragraph was like blah, blah, blah.  The boring things we always hear, know, and disregard.

I am so thankful that the Lord blessed me with boys!  I am also so grateful that I enjoy them for the way God created them to be.  It sure would be boring around our house if I did not allow them to be boys.

Something else to note:  When Kevin gets involved with the boys, he is one of the boys.  The competition revs up.  The energy increases.  And it always gets physical.  As I was typing that I thought of the Olivia Newton John song, which is a totally different kind of physical.  The Mommy and Daddy kind where wrestling ensues.

Only By God's Grace...
Callie Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment