Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Whole Truth

It has been so incredibly busy at my house that I am finding it hard to post daily or even a couple of times per week.  I am diligently trying to go to bed earlier so that I can be a better Mommy, and sometimes that is at the expense of one of my favorite things...Blogging.

Because of our busyness, we honestly did not start our Bible Verse for April 1st until tonight.  I had been meaning to, but it just had not happened.  I had a few that I thought I would do, but the Lord instructed me otherwise tonight.  The boys happened to get in a screaming match between the living room and bedroom all while I was in my bedroom.  All I heard was, "YES YOU DID!" and "NO I DIDN'T!" over and over again.  It made for an immediate family meeting to discuss what had occurred.  Mommy was mad for several reasons.  First of all, Kylee had not had a proper nap today and was finally, peacefully resting (how she slept through the screaming I am not sure).  I did not want her to wake.  Secondly, a screaming match is totally unacceptable.

Our discussion included those points, but it turned into so much more.  It frustrates me why we choose to hurt the people we love most, and it starts in early childhood.  I know that arguments are commonplace with siblings, but many times it continues into adulthood.  Most of the time they are silly and preventable.  Many times it just takes a little more communication and some humble pie to either prevent or easily fix the disagreement or hurt that ensued.  I am diligently trying to reinforce with my children that we do not want to intentionally hurt those we love most.

The boys had been taking a bath, and Calvin had told Colton that it was time to get out.  Obviously, like any other 3 or 4 year old, he did not want to get out.  This resulted in Colton slapping Calvin on the face, but more importantly, on the side of the face where he has a huge scrape by his eye.  I know Calvin probably initially resisted, but after several slaps he could no longer hold back.  Calvin fought back with some slaps of his own.  We have been working on this for a while now.  Calvin understands that he is the older brother who Colton looks up to and copies at every turn.  I reminded Calvin yet again that if he hits Colton, he is sending the message that it is okay to hit each other.  Kevin and I also always use the football reference of who always gets caught...the person who retaliates.

I learned the whole story after the entire interview process, but here is where God stepped in.  I was asking Colton his part of the story first, and I knew he was not telling me the whole truth.  That is when the Holy Spirit triggered the Bible verse in my head, and I used it for good.  I immediately knew this would be the verse for 4.1.11.

Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight.
Hebrews 4:13a

This incident became the perfect opportunity to teach a great truth.  We talked about what "all creation" meant.  I then explained that sometimes Mommy and Daddy do not witness what happens, but God sees all of it.  None of it is hidden from Him.  I also explained that sometimes God allows Mommy and Daddy to figure out a lot of things without always seeing them.  I was able to reinforce how important the truth is.  Thank you Lord for sending this verse this evening.  After explaining and reciting this verse several times with all of the children, Colton told me that he had not told me the truth.  It was a beautiful moment.  I do not always grasp hold of these teaching moments, but I am so glad that I did tonight.  Parenting is more fun this way, and I stay in control instead of stooping down to the screaming match like the children.  I used to get into the screaming match (aka raising my voice and yelling at them) way too often, but those are becoming fewer and far between only by God's grace.  Colton proceeded to tell me the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help him God because nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight.

Only By God's Grace...
Callie Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment