Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Mommy First

I have 4 children.  I thought I would have already experienced pretty much all of the Mommy firsts that are out there, but I was wrong.  I had a Mommy first last Saturday.

After Kevlie Ann's whirlwind, literally, of a soccer game, we were all hungry.  It was 2:30pm.  We had a late breakfast, but we had not had lunch before the game.  I had 3 free kids meal coupons for Jason's Deli so off we went.  Lunch was great.  Kylee enjoyed lots of crackers.  Funny thing is that in our rush to get out of the house that morning, I made the comment to Kevin as we were driving down our street that somehow I had left the wipes in the living room recliner.  I am not sure why they were not put back in the diaper bag, but they were not.  I made the decision that we should be fine and to go on to the game.  I was really wishing for the wipes after all of the crackers.

I wanted to run into World Market really quickly to look for something specific.  I found a couple of things and checked out.  As we were walking out the door, I felt something wet dripping off of my arm.  To my shock and amazement, there was a copious amount of poo (the really runny kind) running down my arm and even all over the bag of purchased items.  This is not my Mommy first moment because we have had many a blow-out.  Just wait for it because it gets better.

Now I was really wishing for the wipes.  I almost wanted to walk around the store in search of another Mommy who might be in possession of some, but I could not because this was what you might call an emergency.  I held sweet Kylee out in the air, legs dangling and made a bee-line for the restroom.  Kylee was all smiles.  I think she thought this was quite a ride.  I will spare too many details, but let me just say that it was so bad that this is when my Mommy first occurred.

For the first time ever in my 9 years and 3 months of Mommyhood with 4 infants, I gave my daughter a bath in the restroom sink.  I know for a fact that had this been my first baby I would have melted into a puddle of tears filled with embarassment, exasperation, and failure.  On this day, even though it was a first, it is not my first rodeo.  I was able to laugh the whole time and kind of enjoy the moment even though it was filled with poo and lots of it.

I tend to have reflection moments as I type these blogs.  I do not know if anyone else cares about these reflections or lessons learned, but I know it is good for me.  This one is kind of corny and many may roll their eyes, but it works for me.  Sometimes our lives are filled with a lot of poo.  I know mine has been off and on lately.  However, I have a choice.  I can melt down into tears filled with embarassment, exasperation, and failure.  Or I can choose to laugh.  Laughter really is the best medicine.  I am always telling the family, "You might as well laugh as cry."  It is a lot more fun and less stressful that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment