Thursday, March 10, 2011

A friend loves at all times.

A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.
Proverbs 17:17

Our family has been blessed with amazing friends!  When I fall down, they are there to pick me up.  When I need advice, they are a phone call away.  When I am happy, they share in my joy.  When I am in anguish, they share in my sorrow.  When one child is hospitalized, they welcome the others as a part of their household for a short while.  When I have delivered babies, they bring me delicious food to my door.  When I need to take one child to the emergency room, a friend arrives ten minutes later ready to watch over my other three children. 

The emergency room trip happened this evening.  Kevlie Ann had fallen off the trampoline and landed on her shoulder.  Thankfully, there are no broken bones, but it is sprained pretty badly.  She will have lots of pain for awhile and may take several weeks to heal.  I am grateful because it could have been so much worse.  The friend heroine of this story was Jennie; however, our family has been helped by so many.

I have had so many friends readily available in all of my "crisis" moments.  I know that I could not possibly list all of the friends we have depended on without inadvertantly leaving some off the list.  We are so very thankful of each of you, and I hope you are not offended that I have not given you due credit in this blog.  Although, I feel I must mention sweet Molly.  She has been one that has allowed my son to take up residence at her home for multiple nights at a time this past year.  This is not always an easy feat especially because she has another 9 year old boy at her home.  (Jennie and Molly are just fresh on my heart from recent events.)

I have depended on my friendships so much over the past 7 months.  There have also been other seasons where we have been extra dependent...2008 comes to mind.  I feel like I owe so many for all of the ways they have served and loved our family.  I really do not like the feeling of being dependent; however, the Lord designed relationships to be that way.  We are to be dependent on one another, to carry each other's burdens, and love at all times.  Independence can lead to isolation, selfishness, rebellion, and deprivation of true and deep relationship.   To be dependent allows for a transparency that brings true, deep and meaningful relationship.  It also means allowing yourself to be vulnerable.

Just now I am even reminded of my relationship with the Lord.  Am I completely dependent on Him?  Or am I focused on myself and in rebellion?  Am I transparent and vulnerable?  Do I lay my burdens on Him because His yoke is easy and His burden is light?  Do I praise Him because He is Worthy of my worship and praise?  Do I serve Him with a heart of thanksgiving? Am I in true, deep, and meaningful relationship with my Heavenly Father who is my Creator, Sustainer, and Redeemer?  Are you?

I had a similar conversation with a friend a few days ago talking about our relationship with our Father.  We both found it interesting how we feel so much better, handle tough situations better, love better...you get the point...EVERYTHING BETTER when we are in true, deep, and meaningful relationship with our Father!  I know that I use to think I was in relationship when I was not.  Tonight I am reminded to take inventory and answer the above questionairre to make sure I am in true, deep, and meaningful relationship with Him.  Why do we sometimes fall off the wagon when we know everything is better on it?  Why do I repeatedly have to confess failure in this area?  Why do I insist on learning the hard way?  I do not deserve it, but I am so incredibly thankful for His Grace!

I am also thankful that my relationship with the Father can be replicated here on earth.  We are given daily examples of meaningful relationships through marriage, family and friends.  He also knew that relationships would not be easy.  We would not always get along and agree on everything.  He also knew jealousy and miscommunication would occur.  This is where he instructs us on forgiveness, mercy, grace, and love.  He even gave us the best example of all...Jesus Christ.

Only By God's Grace...
Callie Ann

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your kind words. It broke my heart to see Kevlie Ann in pain again. Praying she heals much sooner than six weeks! You were a life saver for me on Monday! I hope ya'll were able to get some sleep last night.

    ReplyDelete