Tuesday, February 15, 2011

We will hide Your Word in our hearts.

I will admit that I was inspired and encouraged by a friend from college, who happens to be an amazing children's author and blogger, to start memorizing verses throughout the year.  Erica does not realize it, but she has been holding me accountable.  She has been great to post the verses she is memorizing each 1st and 15th of the month.  I will try to do the same.  It is tough to choose only one verse or section of verses at a time.  As I was trying to decide the first one for the year, it was impressed upon my heart that I would choose them based upon the stage or season our family was in.  I was also going to have to be aware of choosing verses that my children can understand, memorize, and use in their daily lives. 

First, to play a little catch up.

Our initial verse was:
I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.  Psalm 119:11

Kevin chose this verse because he thought it would serve to set the initial impact on the children that we would be focusing on memorizing scripture throughout the year to hide in our heart.  The lesson was that if we commit these scriptures to memory, then we are able to use them.  This morning I heard a quote at Bible Study:  "When you memorize scripture, it increases the Holy Spirit's vocabulary."  I do not know where the quote originated, but I love the practicality and truth it speaks.  It was a great day to hear this to reaffirm our family scripture memory, especially on the 15th when a new scripture is introduced.

Our second verse for January was:
Be joyful always,
Pray continually,
Give thanks in everything;
for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I cannot begin to tell you how impactful this verse has been.  It has been used on multiple occasions especially when break downs are occuring.  I have used it myself numerous times to change my attitude.  It really is a great reminder when sometimes I am just down in the dumps (or when sickness seems to take up permanent residence).  That is not how Christ wants me to live.  Our entire family has been blessed by this, and one of my friends even shared last week how she was reminded to be joyful after reading one of my facebook posts the day before.  I was so thankful and blessed by the fact that she shared that with me because it reminds me that joyfulness is contagious!  This was a rather long verse for Colton to memorize so he was only encouraged to remember, "Be joyful, pray, and give thanks." 

Our first verse for February was:
Let us love one another for love comes from God.  1 John 4:7

I will admit that I cheated a little with this one because we all already had this one memorized.  This is a CBS (Community Bible Study) verse that is set to a tune.  I must say music helps all ages to remember verses!  I decided to use it partly because the previous verse had been so long and more challenging for the kids to remember.  However, I also chose it because of the Valentine season it would encompass.

Those now bring us to today; the 1st and 15th are the days we introduce new scripture.  For the past few days I have come upon so many great scriptures and was really having a tough time narrowing it down.  But one stood out above the rest last night as I was reflecting over my blogs the past couple of days.

Gracious words are a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
Proverbs 16:24

There are so many great verses about our words, but I chose this one because I can use creative ways to help us remember it.  I must admit that we did not get to introduce this tonight because it was a rushed evening, but we will tomorrow at our family dinner.  I plan to have honey for them to taste to help cement a memory and start the discussion on our words that we speak.  I anticipate that this will be one the Holy Spirit pulls out of the vocabulary to use on a regular basis.

I also thought I would share my friend's blog mentioned earlier because it brings me such great encouragement.  You can be encouraged by Erica Stidham at Amazing Adventures Await.  From there you can check out her new series for children, Those Silly Sisters.

Only By God's Grace
With Much Love,
Callie Ann

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing how you're learning as a family. I meant to ask you how often you learn a new verse etc. The 1st and 15th idea is great. Enjoying your openness with your blog, thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete